Sunday, December 23, 2012

Beer Tote

HANDMADE BEER TOTE 1 of 6





Pale Prophet Beer Tote
***

I went on Uncommon Goods looking for ideas that weren't totally lame for my friends for Xmas. I immediately was drawn to these handmade, wooden 6-beer totes. After a little research, I found a dude that had made his own and posted the plans. Huge thanks to this dude!

I contacted my grandpa, a fine woodworker who is always down to partner up with me for my ambitious projects. He's extremely reliable and thinks things through like a champion. I am deeply grateful for the time he has spent with me and his bottomless well of advice on woodworking, marriage, and life in general. In short, he is a very special person to me and I hope he knows it.

The tutorial I found was a little lacking and that might have been on purpose. I'd like to use this space to provide instructions on how to make your own, but most people don't have access to a full woodworking shop. If you have any questions, please comment here and I promise I'll try to answer it.

Materials for 6 totes:

[1] sheet 1/4" plywood (I used a birch 2x4 sanded panel)
[3] 8' boards of 1x6 pine (or whatever wood you prefer)
[6] 1/2" hardwood dowels

Tools:

Too many to list. See pictures.


use block to avoid cutting fingers off

side and bottom pieces cut

drill press for hole

cutting angles on side pieces

stack

router with clamped blocks - interior pieces

top view with clamps

twist in 1/2" dowels with glue on the ends

halfway there

glue and brad nail bottom to side pieces

titebond II

twist in

used brace for countersinking screw holes

the most tedious part

use interior pieces to place side slats

glue and brad nail

shot for weight on the interior pieces

all 6

finished

with bottle openers

add your favorite beer






No comments: